Guatemala - Urgent Action
Stop violence against children.
Guatemala faces enormous problems created by the legacy of Civil War, a weak Judicial System and a culture of impunity. However it is possible to make a difference by encouraging the Guatemalan Government for positive change. We must keep Guatemala, and the rights of Guatemala’s children, on the international agenda. . The ultimate goal is to stop violence against street children.
Casa Alianza works tirelessly to defend the human rights of all children demanding that the State of Guatemala develops action plans to benefit childhood and youth.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Please write to the authorities, urging them to:
- Implement and resource a meaningful programme to stop violence and respect children’s human rights as per the States obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Provide adequate resources for the implementation of Guatemala’s Law of Integral Protection of Children and Adolescents.
- Adopt effective legislation in the Criminal Code to protect children from trafficking, sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Investigate all crimes against children and adopt meaningful sentences for perpetrators’, which have the interests of the child victim as their main priority and ensure full access to civil compensation for damages to child victims.
- End impunity of police & military personnel abusing street children and harassing those who assist them.
- Implement the recommendation of the International Committee for Human Rights (ICHR) on provision of adequately funded social programmes
Please address your letters to:
President of the Republic of Guatemala
Licenciado Oscar Berger Perdomo
Presidente de la República de Guatemala
Casa Presidencial, 6 a. Avenida, 4-18 zona 1
Ciudad de Guatemala, Guatemala
Fax: +502 221 4423
Juan Luis Florido
Fiscalía General del Ministerio Público
8a. Avenida 10-67, Zona 1,
Ciudad Guatemala, Guatemala
Fax: + 502 2251 2218
Minister of the Interior
Ministra de Gobernación
Adela Camacho de Torrebiarte
6a. Avenida 13-71, Zona 1
Ciudad de Guatemala
Fax: +502 2413 8658
Minister of Foreign Affairs
Ministro de Relaciones Exteriores
2ª. Avenida 4-17, Zona 10
Ciudad de Guatemala,
Código Postal 01010,
Fax: + 502 2410 0157
Presidential Human Rights Office
Comisión Presidencial de Derechos Humanos (COPREDEH)
Lic. Frank La Rue
2ª. Avenida10-50, Zona 9
Ciudad de Guatemala, 01009
Telefax: + 502 2334-0115
HE Senor Edmundo Rene Urrutia Garcia .Ambassador
Embassy of Guatemala,
13 Fawcett St, London, SW10 9HN
Tele:020 7351 3042. Fax: 020 7376 5708
Please send copies of your appeals to Casa Alianza UK so that we may measure the response. firstname.lastname@example.org
If you can, please make a donation to support our ongoing advocacy work.